Sunday, April 26, 2009

So So Sick

So we have only made it about 55 miles out of Pearisburg. I am not sure what happened, but we both have become very sick. About 5 days ago we ate lunch and shortly afterwards I started feeling very nauseated. The next day I was weak, couldn't eat, and felt really bad. We only hiked 5.8 miles, but it was the hardest miles I have hiked so far. Then the next day I felt better again. I thought I was well, but then that night we ate and shortly afterwards both Nick and I started feeling very bad. Saturday morning we decided we needed to get to a town because I was becoming severly dehydrated. We had to walk 3 miles down the mountain on a dirt road, and then we hitchhiked to Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech. We got a hotel room, and have been resting up. Nick feels pretty good now, but I still am having diarrhea issues and feeling pretty weak. Hopefully after one more day of rest we will be ready to get back on the trail. It really sucks to feel bad out in the middle of nowhere!!
Okay this is our food we carried out of Pearisburg, which is typical food for us. We have bagels, Mac and Cheese, tortillas, peanut butter, Pasta Sides and Rice Sides, dehydrated mashed potatoes, vienna sausages, clif bars, granola bars, oatmeal cream pies, kool-aid, trail mix, refried beans, cheese, ramen noodles, and parkay (Nick eats parkay on everything to try to keep on his weight). We usually try to make mixed dishes since we only have one pot. We will make mexican rice and mix in the beans and cheese and eat it on the tortillas, or we will make a pasta side like creamy garlic pasta mixed with garlic potatoes. It is all pretty good with a little hot sauce on it.
Nick and Stink bought short shorts to hike in from Goodwill in Pearisburg. The sad thing is they did not plan this. They went to the store at different times. Weird boys.
The day after we left Pearisburg it snowed!!! It actually snowed quite a bit, and sometimes it was almost a blizzard.
Our first black snake!! This snake was about 5 feet long. They are not poisonous.
Keffer Oak, the second largest Oak tree on the AT.
This tree is huge. It is 18ft around and estimated to be over 300 years old.

We finally have cell phone signal on top of this mountain, so we are trying to catch up on some phone calls.

The view from our cell phone signal mountain. It was like looking at a picture while talking on the phone.

A vulture just hanging out.
I didn't even know there was an eastern continental divide, but there is...we crossed it. The rivers on the left flow to the gulf, and the rivers on the right flow to the Atlantic.

2 comments:

ABCs said...

We hope you are feeling better! Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions. We have more for you! Are you worried about hitchhiking being dangerous? Do you think you get a little bit faster everyday on your hike? How do you charge your cell phones? I think that's it for now. Take care!
Kim P. and classes :)

Anonymous said...

Nice pic of your food. That is a pretty cool thing to have documented in the blog. Oh yes and love the shorts...gonna start a new AT fashion statement, watch out! ha, I love it. That tree is really rad, what a random yet interesting fact about the trail and crossing the divide is even cooler. I crossed the contential divide last year when driving to LA (in New Mexico part). Love seeing the blog, it fills in the gaps of your stories. good stuff.-jedi