We have found the most challenging part of the trail is going into town and getting food. Yesterday we arrived in Erwin...well 4 miles out of town on the trail. Nobody seemed to want to give us a ride into town, so we ended up walking to the Super 8. That is right...we are treating ourselves for the first time by staying at a real motel. It is great...bed, shower, tv, refrig, and microwave!!! After we got checked in we headed out to do our laundry and buy some food. We only took Nick's pack because we thought that would be plenty of room to carry everything. By the time we got done at the grocery store we had $215 worth of food...food we needed for 9 days on the trail and food we wanted to eat at the hotel. We had to walk 1.5 miles back to the hotel with all of this food and laundry. I was shell shocked for about 15 minutes. I could not comprehend how we were going to carry all of this food. Nick packed as much as he could in his pack, which left him carrying 3 heavy sacks in his hands and I had 5 sacks in my hands. It was a funny sight, but we felt like we really accomplished something when we got to the room. It is funny how hard it is to get around a pretty small town just with our feet.
Q&A:
Do we have trail names? I really have not taken the time to explain how important a trail name is to the majority of people on the trail. Most people seem to think of a name to call themselves before they even start hiking, but some wait to be given a name. At first I thought this was kind of dumb. It seemed to me that these people just wanted to escape their lives and the world by coming out into the woods and going by a different name. We were happy with Nick and Sara, but it seems to cause more issues by not having a name. When we introduce ourselves as Nick and Sara the conversation always starts out as, "You don't have trail names yet?" Plus we started thinking that going by a nickname is just another way to unite this little hiking community. Nick tried to adopt the name Barbaroja (Red Beard) that he had in South America, but people couldn't say it or remember it. We seem to be referred to as the couple from Texas and Kansas a lot, so we started calling ourselves Tex and Kansas...but I am not that excited about those names. One guy thinks Nick should go by Redwood, since he is tall and has red hair...so he is kind of going by Tex Redwood now. People have all sorts of names such as: Lefty, Bushwhacker, Frisbee, Chili, Hungry, Egghead, Starbucks, and Stink. I will take suggestions for my name if you have any.
What is "shine"? That would be good old moonshine. It is homemade alcohol made with corn meal, malt, water, yeast, and sugar.
Picture time:
3 comments:
Thanks for keeping us so well informed about how your hike is going! We are having a lot of fun reading your blog every week. New questions from the kids: Are you getting homesick? How are you getting home when you reach Maine? Do you think you will finish the AT before September? How do you get help in case of an emergency? Has anybody gotten hurt since you have been on your hike? Are you planning on fishing at some point during the hike? I think that's it for now!! Take care. Kim P.
A nickname idea--Beauty and the Beast!! LOL You can decide who is who!
Questions--What is your favorite part of the hike so far? Do you take cash on a trip like this or use a debit or credit card? Have you seen a bear yet? Just how sharp is Nick's spear? How many people have you met? Do you have any other weapons besides Nick's spear? What are your plans for after the trip? Will you go back to work?
Hey Sara and Nick,
This is Sally and Jeff, REMEMBER meet and greet dinner in Lancaster Pa. Sunday May 24-09. I just wanted to tell you guys you are amazing and some of the most interesting people I have ever met. I stayed up until midnite last nite and read alot of your adventures , I found it so refreshing; I will be thinking of you both alot. Im sure i will hear things on t.v. or the radio that will spark a memory of you guys somehow. LOL. well if you finally meet civilization. maybe send me an e-mail and let me know how you done on the duration of the trip. even tho i will be reading the blogs alot and that will keep me in touch with you. Well take care and god bless you. Ask Nick if he would like me to send him some crayons and a coloring book HA HA maybe a TARZAN one. LOL. sallyachristine@gmail.com
Post a Comment