Monday, April 27, 2009

Quick Q&A

I thought I would answer these questions before we leave the hotel tomorrow.
1. Are you worried about hitchhiking being dangerous? Not really. It can be dangerous, but so far we have only met really nice people. Most of the people that seem to stop for us have hiked the trail themselves, or have some interest in the trail. One lady stopped the other day, but we didn't go with her because she was a little different. She might fit the profile as a steroetypical hillbilly. She didn't really make any sense, and we were pretty sure she was drunk. Hopefully we will continue to get rides with great people, and if not hopefully we can analyze the situation before we get in the car. Compared to South America hitchhiking does not seem that bad.
2. Do you think you get a little bit faster everyday on your hike? Not really. I think we are definitely faster than we were in the beginning, but now I think we are stuck in a comfortable pace. When we hike with other people and try to pick up the pace so we do not look slow I can tell I am really pushing it. I guess it is just like training for track or cross country...if I didn't have my coach there pushing me to go faster I would be happy just jogging along. We seem to be happy just hiking along at a pace between 2-3 miles per hour.
3. How do you charge your cell phones? We usually keep our cell phones off to save the battery, and then they last until we get to town so we charge them at the hostel, hotel, or the library. We have a weather radio though that allows us to charge them by cranking the radio in case we really need to use our phones and they are dead.
Thanks for the questions!!!

Well we are headed out tomorrow. We really enjoyed our time in Blacksburg, other than being sick. Virginia Tech has a beautiful campus, and the town has a wonderful small town feel. It was a great town to be sick in.

3 comments:

Sweater Girl said...

Glad you are over your sickness. And congratulations on being an aunt and uncle!!
We have a few questions:
How do you keep things cool, like the cheese and margarine?
How long did Nick's beard get while you were in South America?
Stay safe, talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

How do you keep from catching the swine flu while on the trail? There are lots wild boar out there.

Anonymous said...

I always wondered what that campus looked like. Nice little Q&A section. Hitchhiking sounds pretty solid for you guys. I didn't know your handcrank radio can charge your cell phone. That is pretty rad. -jedi