Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Day In Kansas

Well we've been in Kansas now for a week and a half. I've been working for an energy company called Crusader. They own oil fields in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Colorado. I'm working in a field in Walsh, Colorado. It's a small town about an hour and forty minutes from Sara's parents. I took the camera to work with me today.

The sunrise here is beautiful. Unfortunately this picture doesn't do it justice.

The jack rabbits here are as large as a dog.
This is a slag tank. When we pump water out of the well it usually contains lots of oil. These tanks stink and are covered in slimy oil. They have to put nets overs them to keep animals out.
This is the company truck I get to drive around in all day. It's pretty nice but it only gets about 15 mpg. Not exactly fuel efficient...but I guess they are an oil company.
This is me.
Pumping unit.
I guess the sign is giving us, the driver a heads up for when the train does derail.
The clouds here are spectacular, and the roads are extremely straight.
I think this is a chicken hawk, but I couldn't see his tail so I'm not sure.
This is Hank, Sara's brother's dog. He LOVES to herd things: guineas, chickens, cats, goats, and even Daisy.
Here is Daisy trying hard no to look at me so I can take a good picture.
I surprised Thaddeus.
Dick's deer skull.
The sunset, thus concluding my Saturday in Kansas.
P.S. Sara and I are having an argument over the spelling of Sun, is it capitalized? comment with your answers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick and Sara, Sandra here....I did some research on the Sun question. Apparently, the Sun is like Mars or Jupiter, hence the name Sun is a proper name and therefore capitalized.
See this link for more:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070520023453AA14Egh

Tyler said...

In reference to your question it's spelled Son. You home-schoolers can never get anything right!

Anonymous said...

yo yo. i like the surprised thaddius pic. hee, made me giggle. looks crazy...i didn't even know you guys had posted stuff recently, now i have something to do at work....yea!!!
-ole